Friday, June 29, 2007











Lots of road construction happening in western Colorado and eastern Utah. I lost more than an hour-and-a-half of driving time waiting for the "lead truck" to bring traffic through from the other side. And I suffered a bit of truck trouble yesterday morning -- seems some polution control air monitoring valve went bad causing the "check engine soon" light to come on. It happened just out of Durango on my way to check on the Marvel Cemetery (they didn't have signage.....sigh), but got lucky because I remembered passing a Nissan dealership on the way out of town. I have to praise Economy Nisson of Durango, CO, because they took me in, found the problem and sent me repaired on my way. I came in about 10:30 a.m. and was out two hours later. Kudos on them.


I did, however, get some good images. As I was leaving Durango, I realized that the quickest way to Paradox, CO, was up through Monticello, UT, and then back over to the Paradox Valley. I had photographed this silvery barn a number of years ago, and was never happy with the b&w neg, and yesterday it was perfectly lighted. Amazed it has stayed the same for over 20 years. It would have been the mid-1980's when I first saw it. Also this route took me way too close to one of my fav places -- Canyonland National Park. Not the main park, but an eastern part that not too many people visit. Newspaper Rock is a amazing. A little further down the road the view broadens out....great view of the valley. And finally where I was trying to get to, Paradox Cemetery, what I had come for. Love it when they have the tall, clean, silvery signs proclaiming to the world who and what they are.

2 comments:

Bridgie said...

these photos make me miss utah and colorado. what a great shot of the drive in. where are the arrows/teepees? miss you!

pitchertaker said...

They are US 64 out of Durango, CO.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)