Saturday, July 28, 2007




Well, I said I might not post for a few days now that my big road trip is over, but my friend Billie said, to me: "You sound a little down....no not down as maybe nostalgic for what was but is going. Sounds like you are asking yourself questions about what next."


This is a reply to her email:


That's the problem with driving long distances by yourself.....you talk to yourself. And think too much. There lays the danger. Thinking and talking to yourself. I was trying to figure the ratio to cemetery images to other stuff, and there's not much other stuff that's on film. It's easy to fire off a digital or two just for illustration, but serious images in B&W? Not many, or at least not as many as I would have liked. I truly believe that I would have take more had I been on more familiar ground. The northwest, as beautiful as it is, is not the southwest. I'm a desert rat at heart and probably always will be. Just proves a person should stick to what they know. If I'm to find some new path, I think it will be where I recognized the territory, therefore maybe recognize a path I haven't taken before. I will probably have to rethink my genre of "social landscapes" to a more contemporary theme. Maybe I'll just photograph beautiful flowers with my digital cameras from now on. Who knows? Maybe you're right, not depressed -- that's probably too strong a term -- just a little sad/nostalgic about the passing of an era. I don't think the newbies of photography will have the medium all to themselves, there is still room for those of us who find a certain kind of beauty in the moldy old....ya' know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Frank!

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading your photo travelogue! It was a great treat to be able to check back everyday for your updates.

It's so interesting to get a glimpse into the social fabric away from the east coast; I'm especially fond of the cemetery gates you captured...I don't think I've ever seen any like that (with the name of the burial ground boldly displayed) 'round our parts...is it a midwest/west thing?

On another note, I think I must be in need of a good meal or something, because I kept finding myself salivating over your dinner photos. Yum.

Anyways, have a great rest of your summer! I hope to swing by Clark once classes settle down to say hi!

Rock on!

--Ryan

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)