Saturday, July 25, 2009

THE STORY OF TWO NEGATIVES





Both: Caryville, Tennessee 13 December 1983


I made these images while returning from a trip to Big Bend National Park in Texas. We had moved to Philly in late summer and I was on the road trying to wrap my head around the fact that I no longer lived in Texas. That's another story. The bottom image was the one I always wanted to print but never could because of what looks like a fungus attack on the negative -- lots of small, black, smuggy marks. So, I had gone with the top one for contact printing. Now that I'm able to make high quality scans, I was able to literally spend about six hours "spotting" the spot from the resulting digital file of the top image. Yeah, there is a difference in color of the two images, but that's because I'm still experimenting with coloring the "b&w" images. The negatives are scanning in full 48-bit mode as a color negative. In the scanning software, I desaturate the image (remove the color), but the files remains a colorless RGB file. If you eye-dropper over any part of the image, the RGB readings all read grayscale. Having this type of file allows me to "color" the image much as you would tone a traditional silver print. Currently I taking two different approaches: a color balance layer where I add small amounts of color the the shadows only (bottome image), and a low percentage color overlay layer. Besides, having a 16-bit, RGB file is always better for modern ink jet printers such as the Epson 3800 and the Epson 4880. With either of these printers, I have been able to rival or surpass any silver print I was able to make in the darkroom.....WHEN printed on some of the newer baryta based papers.

2 comments:

luksky said...

I love, love, love the pic!

I have been wanting to take a trip to Big Bend...I hear it is worth the trip.

pitchertaker said...

More than worth the trip -- but wait until the fall or early spring. In the fall, the cottonwoods and salt cedars will be brilliant yellow and the high up maples will be in full color. In the spring, flowers everywhere -- if its been a wet winter. By all means go....it is a true Texas treasure. Like no other place you've ever seen.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)