Monday, November 03, 2014

BATHROOMS


Me, University of Michigan Museum of Art, Ann Arbor, Michigan  Oct 10, 2014

I know, I KNOW! It's not something I do very often, but if the opportunity presents itself, why not. If nothing else, photography is all about opportunity.  I have a friend who photographs himself in bathroom mirrors all the time (you can see a few of them here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/louiedespres/sets/).  The "selfie" craze seems to have taken over social media these days, but "selfies" are nothing new, especially to photographers.  Every photographer I know has, at one time or another, pointed the camera at him or herself.  This genre has a history as old as photography itself.  I even give my beginning students an assignment to do just that, make a self portrait.  And there is always one or two who adopt the genre semester after semester.  I tell them the great advantage of doing self portraits is they don't have to hunt for a model.

No comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)