Tuesday, December 18, 2007

TREES




Trying to get my act together to make proof scans of all the black and white negative I shot this past summer, I found these images of winter trees that I photographed last January. JANUARY, no less! Since I live just out of the big ol' city of Worcester, most any direction I go except towards the city, I see lots and lots of trees. I guess it's the strong verticals of the trees against the backdrop of heavy shadows that draws my eye. I was watching wistfully several small patches of trees thinking I would have time after the semester was over, and before Christmas to point a camera towards them, but the snows came. Now I'll have to wait until the spring -- maybe. I need to make a run at the New Hampshire state stores and that will offer much opportunity to observe a strong winter sun on great stands of birch, maple, and oak. During the snow months, it's very hard to find places where you can pull off to the side of the road because mostly it just big icy snow banks. Especially after getting about 24-inches of snow in the past week. Even the berms on the sides of my driveway are almost five foot tall.

3 comments:

Billie Mercer said...

Driving North from Mexico this week I was thinking how beautiful the landscape was with the trees partially nude, the umber grasses, the blue sky. Not a monochrome but a very narrow color range. With a strong low sun it was so beautiful. I was seeing it in color but it could be in monochrome. My favorite of this set is the first one.

Unknown said...

these are beautiful.. especially like the tones and texture in the third.

pitchertaker said...

"Oh wind! If winter comes, can spring be far behind."

A busy fall, and early snows have capped my efforts to do more of this kind of work. And I so wanted to be out and doing just that. Damned if it didn't snow even more yesterday. "Oh wind!......

P'taker

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)