Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Travels


Charlottesville, Virginia 17 July 2010

I haven't been posting because I thought y'all might be a bit tired of the old stuff, and since I didn't have any new stuff....well, you get my point. We had reason to be in Charlottesville this past week, and while Ellen was attending business at UVA, I spent time wandering about the town and the countryside. Must admit it is getting harder and harder to find the kinds of things that interest me visually. Mostly I like that subtle irony that speaks to time passage in which I find a certain visual poetry. As much as anything, I like stumbling upon these cultural artifacts and thinking: "Am I the only one that can see this?" Or is it that I'm the only one who "get it?" Sometimes I wonder.

5 comments:

Don and Sher said...

I love finding the old building signs, is this an old 7 Up ad?

Don

Pat Tillett said...

I love your old photos! New ones also...

This is another one that fills me full of questions! I guess that's why I like old things...

pitchertaker said...

Don -- those were the only words discernable on the side of the building. Don't know what they were talking about.

Don and Pat: That's what I like about this stuff -- the ambiguity. I can't answer any question, I can only ask them visually.

luksky said...

Your photos are always very intriguing to me...I always find myself studying them no matter what the photo is of.

Liz Mattarazzo said...

Oh Frank, I can see you contemplating those questions in depth. But if it makes you happy... and then you can capture it and post it and other people will see what you see. So that's definitely cool. But I do like a lot of your new stuff more so than the old. It may be because a lot of the old isn't in color :( you know me and black and white.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)