Sunday, June 14, 2015

IN BLACK & WHITE


Summit, British Columbia, Canada

For most of my career, almost 60 years now, I have been a black and white photographer with occasional forays into color.  I have not seriously shot a single exposure in b&w for the past 10 years, but that doesn't mean I don't still see in b&w. After all these years of gray tones, it is a bit difficult for me to see color well.  I think I do OK, but I have to think more about it.


Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada

The lone white coat hanger, can work in color, but is far more dramatic and satisfying in b&w.  The image of the flowers painted on the side of the building just doesn't work in b&w, it is a color image.


Hammond, Montana

One of the best things about being totally digital is to have your cake and eat it, too.  Meaning, of course, I can have both color and b&w in one camera.  I know in the back of my brain, I'm still seeing the graphics of the b&w image while looking at it in color.  After all, even when shooting b&w film, we are still looking at the real world in color.  The switch happen entirely in the mind, but I must admit that I look at every image I make not only in the original color as shot, but convert the image to b&w when I get it on my computer. I love being able to do that.  FYI: the above b&w images are not grayscale, they are RGB images, and have a color balance layer where I have added a small amount of warmth to the shadows. It's just the way I roll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, any color would be unhelpful in the coat hanger shot. Great decision.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)