Tuesday, April 26, 2011

TRAVELING AGAIN 35


Vaughn, New Mexico 7 March 2011

Many of you may not know this, but the "Smiley Face" was the product of an illustrator who worked for an insurance company in Worcester, MA. I don't remember the year, but one day trying to raise the moral of the office, he drew a circle with three dots and a curved line on an office memo. Story here. The rest is history. His name was Harvey Ball, and he never received a single cent of compensation for his "happy face."

5 comments:

luksky said...

I love trivia...how interesting about the smiley face.

Anonymous said...

Frank,
Harvey is buried across from my parents grave site. A 5" shiny gold smiley face adorns the back of his grave stone and smiles at my parents./C

FZipperer said...

Wow Frank, you got a book here from your latest trip!
I've really enjoyed all the images you found.

pitchertaker said...

Thanks, FrankZ -- at the least I've been thinking about putting together a Blurb or some such book.

Pat Tillett said...

I thought it was created by Forrest Gump!
It looks like you caught some stormy weather in the background.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)